Middlebury Museum Studies in Oxford
Tuesday, May 28 (arrival before 5 pm) to Friday, June 28, 2019
Undergraduates at American colleges and universities can spend 5 weeks of the summer in the heart of Oxford, England. Students have access to renowned museum collections at Compton Verney, the Ashmolean Museum, the Natural History Museum and the Museum of the History of Science.
Middlebury Museum Studies in Oxford is housed at St. Michael’s Hall, a well-equipped facility with lecture and seminar rooms, common rooms, a kitchen and dining area and a library.
Students will gain unparalleled insight into the structure, management and activities of museums as well as a critical introduction to the unique British approach to historic preservation.
Over the 5 weeks, students will get:
- an intensive week of experiential learning with staff at Compton Verney, a magnificent 18th-century estate and site of a nationally renowned museum.
- special tours, led by museum professionals, of Oxford's Ashmolean Museum, Museum of Natural History and Museum of the History of Science.
- special tours of College collections and archives in Oxford.
- weekly field trips to historic properties and collections in London and southern England.
- two credit-bearing courses* taught by British experts in art history, architectural history, and museum studies: How British Museums Work and Perspectives on Heritage
- weekly seminars, lectures, field trips and experiential learning.
- access to the University's Bodleian Library.
*35+ instructional hours per course. Transcripts are issued by Middlebury College.
There is limited space and financial aid for this summer. Apply now!
Applications should be submitted online by April 1, 2018.
The program will run with a minimum of 10 students.
For more details, contact Marie-Louise Lillywhite at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fees and Financial Aid
The fee is $7,100 per student, which includes instructional expenses, accommodation, field trip expenses (including meals), museum entrance fees, transport to Compton Verney, lunches at Compton Verney, Bodleian library membership and a final dinner at Keble College. The fee does not include airfare, transportation to and from Oxford, personal expenses or most meals, which can be prepared at St. Michael’s Hall.
Estimated Out of Pocket Expenses (Summer 2019):
Students from colleges and universities other than Middlebury may use the following links for financial aid applications:
Summer Aid: https://ssb-prod.ec.middlebury.edu/PNTR/rb_applications_web.summer_instructions
Aid for International Students: https://ssb-prod.ec.middlebury.edu/PNTR/rb_applications_web.ifaa_application
Middlebury students do not need to submit a separate application for financial aid.